02 03 pinkschmink: Short hair, don't care 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Short hair, don't care

34
Once upon a time in 1999, I had my hair cut the shortest it had ever been. I was in high school and I wanted something a bit different, so I took myself off to the hairdresser and asked for a bob that was chin length at the front and cropped right to the nape of my neck at the back. I have no idea where I got the inspiration for that cut, but it was basically a 'Pob' seven years before the Pob existed.

I LOVED it. It was liberating. It was the first time in my life that I'd had a proper hairstyle as opposed to simply a haircut. Eventually I got bored and grew it out (never was there a more awkward haircut to grow out, let me tell you) and it wasn't until ten years later that I went short again with a jaw-length Louise Brooks bob.

Since I grew that out, I've kept my hair long. I have baby-fine hair that grows at a glacial pace, so it took me a long time to get it to its current length – three to four inches past my shoulders – and keep it in reasonable condition.

But for a while, I've been itching for a change. A big change. I didn't know what it was I wanted, though. I thought for a while that it was colour, that perhaps I should go Taylor Tomasi Hill red. But that never really grabbed me. Then, the other day as I was looking through the Oscars red carpet and after-party pictures, it hit me.

Pixies on parade at the Oscars: Anne Hathaway, Charlize Theron and Jennifer Lawrence

CHOP IT OFF. ALL OF IT.

Yeah, we're talking a transformation on a Jennifer Lawrence/Emma Watson/Beyoncé scale here. Kinda scary, right? Which is why I'm still thinking about it and haven't just marched myself down to the nearest hairdresser and demanded a Carey Mulligan. But that's a lot of pixie cut inspiration right there in one paragraph, isn't it?

So what do you think? Do I take the plunge and have all my long hair snipped off? What happens when a normal person gets a pixie cut? And if I got a pound for each time someone said one of these things after I got my hair cut, how soon could I be a multi-millionaire?

And while you're thinking about that, here are some more of my pixie cut heroines.

Edie Sedgwick and Carey Mulligan

Kate Moss and Emma Watson 

Mia Farrow and Linda Evangelista

Michelle Williams and Natalie Portman 

Rihanna and Victoria Beckham 

Winona Ryder

Labels:

35 36 37 38